Finals week starts on Monday. I was in the middle of studying when I felt like baking a little something and had coffee on my mind and in my mug. So, I took a little break from the books to make these muffins. They are so delicious that I've already eaten two while writing this. It's my own twist on a classic coffee cake recipe. I love the addition of the apples and brewed coffee to the cake batter. It really sets these muffins apart from the usual coffee cake. I love anything that's a bit different and these are amazing!
Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
4 c. All Purpose Flour
1/2 c. Granulated Sugar
2 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 c. Light Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. Salt
2/3 c. Milk
5 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Apple, chopped finely
1/8 c. Coffee, brewed
11 tbsp. Butter, unsalted
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin pan with liners. This recipe can also be made into a cake, in a 9" by 12 1/2" pan, buttered.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 1/2 tbsp. of butter, the chopped apple, 2 tsp. of Cinnamon over medium heat. Stir continuously until the apple pieces are almost fully cooked. Remove from heat. Set aside.
3. Mix 1 1/2 c. Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, 1 tsp. of Cinnamon, 1 tsp. Vanilla, egg, milk, coffee, and 6 tbsp. of butter (melted) with an electric mixer on medium speed for about three minutes.
4. In another bowl, combine remaining flour, brown sugar, and last two teaspoons of cinnamon for topping. Chop 3 1/2 tbsp. of butter that remains into small 1 cm. cubes and add. Using a spoon or your fingers, mix thoroughly so you're left with crumbs.
4. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of batter into muffin liners, or about half the batter if making a cake.
5. Add 1/2 tbsp. of apple mixture on top of the batter. Then add remaining batter on top of apple mixture in layers. Should be about 1 spoonful per muffin. Add topping.
6. Bake for about 18-22 minutes. Remove and let cool in muffin pan for about 20 minutes. Then remove to cool completely. Be careful, these are very hot right out of the oven.